Trinity House bell by Taylors

Hatchwell_71_-_080.jpg
Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors Trinity House bell by Taylors

Trinity House bell by Taylors

A WWII era buoy bell made by Taylor's of Loughborough for Trinity House London, dated 1941.

Numbered: 267.

Tuned to true harmonic note F.

Height: 80.5 cm.

Diameter: 60 cm.

 

Trinity House True Harmonically tuned bells:

Bell founders started to cast bells for the Trinity House in the late 19th century, such as the two bells for the Eddystone lighthouse in 1881. Trinity House tendered contracts to the English bell founders; Taylor's of Loughborough, Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel, Warner's of Cripplegate, and Gillet & Johnston of Croydon. In the 1890's these founders made subtle changes to the shape of the bells and with use of vertical boring lathes produced more tuned bells, these bells are referred to as True harmonic tuned bells, or Simpson tuned bells, after Canon Simpson who wrote a paper on bell tuning in 1897, although it is said that John William Taylor, of Taylor's of Loughborough, had made detailed measurements and experimented with such bell shapes earlier in the 1890's, but did not release details of his discoveries since it would have benefitted his competitors. In the early 20th century Cyril Johnson of Gillet & Johnston set up tests for Trinity House to prove that True Harmonically tuned bells had better carrying power, and after WWI Johnston proved this by setting up a sea trail were two buoy bells were moored a mile apart, one a standard buoy bell, the other an experimental bell tuned to the True Harmonic principle, the observers on a launch travelled away from the bells until only one bell could be heard, which was the True Harmonically tuned bell. After this success Johnson produced drawings for Trinity House of the new improved bell, which also included the flange at the top which allowed the bell to be rotated so the the hammers could strike on the unworn surface of the bell. The last harmonically tuned Trinity House bells were cast by Taylor's in 1977. 

Trinity House:

The Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond, also known as Trinity House, is the official authority for lighthouses in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar. Trinity House is also responsible for the provision and maintenance of other navigational aids, such as lightvessels, buoys, and maritime radio/satellite communication systems. The name of the guild derives from the Holy Trinity and St. Clement, the patron saint of mariners. The Corporation came into being in 1514 by royal charter granted by Henry VIII under the name "The Master, Wardens, and Assistants of the Guild, Fraternity, or Brotherhood of the most glorious and undivided Trinity, and of St. Clement in the Parish of Deptford-Strond in the County of Kent." The Master of the Corporation is Anne, Princess Royal. Previous Masters of Trinity House have included Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh; Samuel Pepys; William Pitt the Younger; Field Marshal the Duke of Wellington; and Admiral William Penn (father of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania). Winston Churchill gained his status as an Elder Brother of Trinity House as a result of his position as First Lord of the Admiralty.